Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Seriously???

We went to storytime at the library today. We were supposed to go to playdate at Wibef's house but the Bear was up for about an hour and a half last night with a little bit of a croupy sound so we stayed home because I knew he'd  fall asleep on the way home and naptime would be a no-go. So Squish did pretty well during the story but after it was over and the kids were playing I caught him kind of kicking his friend who was laying down. This is the second week in a row that he has done this so I went over and took his hand and told him to stop and he got so upset...also for the second week in a row. I can tell he is a little embarrassed at being in trouble in front of all the other kids, and I totally understand that but it puts me in such an awkward position as a mom. I can't not punish him just because it's embarrassing, but then I feel bad for fussing at him when he so obviously needs some comfort. So who should I be, especially in front of all the other moms there? Should I be the mom who fusses at her distraught child instead of giving him the comfort that is his most immediate need? Or should I be the mom who lets her child get away with kicking someone because he is so upset at the fact that he's gotten in trouble? Sometimes we are just in a no-win situation. I still don't know what the right answer is.

2 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I don't know, I've seen him do this and there really isn't a good answer. I'd go with comforting him, but murmuring "and this is why we don't kick, it makes us all sad" at the same time.

You can come play at Wibef's tomorrow if you want. I have lots of pasta salad.

Holly said...

sorry we missed you :(